Sunday, May 6, 2012

Back on line with Wood-Fired Baking

After fumbling with my new wood-fired oven in 2011, I've set 2012 as the year to develop skills in cooking on it.  Last year I struggled with fires -- how high to fire the oven and how to cook more than pizzas!  So I decided to start with the fire and found a great book -- The Art of Wood Fired Cooking by Andrea Mognaini and John Thess.  Quickly I learned that I wasn't firing the oven correctly -- that it takes three stages of firing to get the heat driven into the oven -- and was only firing it in one stage.  It amazes me that I was able to cook anything in it last summer.  I've fired the oven several times already this spring and the new technique is working.



Friends and neighbors setting up the new bake oven - May 2011


Bake oven before first use


Bake oven ready to fire - 2011




1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your new WFO prowess Cindy! Look forward to hearing about the pizzas and other baked goods that come out of your oven now that summer baking time is here!

    ReplyDelete