Thursday, January 29, 2009

January Daring Bakers - Amaryllis Petal Tuiles

This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Baking Soda and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angelique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.


My self-rating on this challenge was middling. I came up with a great inspiration for the form -- a beautiful amaryllis blooming in my front room but my presentation of the project was somewhat less spectacular. I sacrificed one of the petals of my flower to use as a shape for the cookies, and everything went smoothly through baking and shaping. My downfall was the final presentation. I decided to dip the tuiles tips in white chocolate but hurried it without following the proper crystallization process. The result was a mess. I hurried along this path by taking some red raspberries (frozen but picked by me last summer) and dipping them in the same white chocolate. That didn't work very well so I nuked the white chocolate a little more and attempted to drizzle it over my creation. Not a pretty sight as you can see! However, red raspberries, white chocolate and tuiles taste terrific. Need to work on the presentation!!














Cheers to all the Daring Bakers and wishing winter would end quickly. We are blanketed with about 4 feet of snow in New England and Northeastern New York.

4 comments:

  1. I had visions of elegant presentations too but settled for plain tuiles. It's a good thing we can eat the evidence and it tastes great.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. My creations never turn out as originally visualized, NEVER, not once! However, as long as it tastes good, I'm usually happy lol Yours look great, and white chocolate and raspberry rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like my dad always says, it doesn't matter what it looks like, it's got to taste great. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be frustrating when me creations don't match my vision, but if the end result tastes good I'm happy. Yours sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete